Saturday, September 6, 2014

I Need Thee Every Hour - words so meaningful to me

Sometimes you see a train in the distance, and you know it's coming your way because you see the light getting closer. The speed of the train is unknown until it gets much nearer. I've known for sometime that changes were coming, but I didn't know how quickly they might happen. The timeline is fuzzy in my mind, but I can assure you that Billy's decline in the last six months has happened in double time, and I have shed as many tears in those months as I did when we first placed him in the nursing home. When I attended his last Care Meeting in July, the nurse who attends those meetings said that in her 20+ years working in nursing homes, she does not recall a resident declining so much in two and a half years. When he first moved into the nursing home, the administrator said she felt he needed a tag that read:  I am a resident not an employee. When anyone entered the memory unit, Billy would extend his hand and introduce himself as BJ Knowles. They thought he worked there.

At the present time, Billy does not stand alone or walk.  The staff uses a mechanical lift to get him out of bed. He cannot sit up straight on his own.  He fell out of his wheelchair several times, and they put him in a geriatric chair.  He leans badly, and he leaned so badly in the geri chair, he had to be straightened often and propped with pillows. 
He now has a fancy new chair, and it seems perfect for keeping him upright.  He seems more interactive and smiles more, too. I'm convinced that he feels much better because he can sit upright in a chair that fits him. He was able to get a new chair because he is now on hospice care, and they could foot the bill.  Medicaid nor Aetna would purchase the chair, and the nursing home was looking into buying one, but the wheels turn slowly on large purchases. We are most grateful for the chair.  (The photos below were taken moments apart.  He would not open his eyes for most of the meal...no idea why.)




Hospice is one of those trains I saw coming, but I thought it was further away. Sadly, the time has come. The physician's assistant who cares for Billy and sees him every Monday, feels the time has come for end of life care.  Only God knows the time that He will welcome Billy home, and until that time hospice will do all they can to make him comfortable.  The chair is certainly a big step toward his comfort. 

We are blessed that Billy knows us, and he communicates with his smile. He talks some, but his words are usually unintelligible. Once in a while, he says something that makes complete sense, and I love that. His smile is beautiful, and everyone around him loves to see it. 

Alzheimer's is cruel, but you already knew that. 

Another train has been barreling through with my mom's cancer. Since June, we've had to call 911 five times...one of those in Galveston. All but one of those trips has led to Mom being admitted into the hospital, and her issues have all been related to complications from cancer and chemo. At her last chemo treatment (nine days ago), the nurse accessing her port missed it, and something was punctured.  Seven hours later, she was still bleeding from that wound and a trip the ER got it under control - finally. That represents our LAST visit to the North Hills ER because of the unprofessional behavior of the medical staff. Fortunately she was not admitted. She made it less than a week before another serious bleeding incident. She woke me on Labor Day morning very ill and had been experiencing a GI bleed for several hours. The paramedics know us well, and as they were loading her up, one asked what had happened with the bleed the week before. We asked them to take her to the new Texas Health hospital at Alliance, and after they evaluated her, they sent her to HEB Harris because most of her doctors practice there. After a few hours there, she was quickly moved to ICU because of uncontrolled bleeding. After four units of blood, two units of platelets, and 5 days in the the oncology unit, Mom was discharged yesterday.  She is very happy to be home. She has to be stronger to withstand the preparation for a colonoscopy, and she is not even close at this point. There is an urgency to find the source of the bleeding, so we are praying for her blood counts to stabilize and for her to gain strength. 

At this moment, Dad is doing about the same. He has days when he is more alert than others. I went to see him at lunch on Tuesday, and he was at a dining room table pushing Tonka trucks around. That made me sad. I usually end of laughing at some point when I visit him, though.  Patients with dementia do strange things, and you can either laugh about those things, or you can cry. Crying gives me a bad headache, so I try to choose laughter. 

Dad and Billy are on hospice. Mom is not on hospice, but she's feeling like her days of chemo treatment are over. Ending up in the hospital after each treatment is not her idea of a high quality of life.  

The prayers of our friends and family are felt, and we are so grateful for all of them. 

5 comments:

  1. Alzheimers is generally termed under a broad denomination of mental diseases and afllictions which are collectively termed as “dementia”.Unfortunately there is no cure for this disease but some Natural Home Remedies For Alzheimer can prevent its onset and help the victim to cope with its effects by controlling or moderating it.

    ReplyDelete

  2. For those people who's relative are Alzheimer’s Disease sufferer and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for more info. at charantova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having Dementia disease knocked my grandma off her life and had her living like a mad person, I did know how the better part of her life eluded her, my mind was completely splatted in two, She showed a severe decline in her mental and cognitive skills in the last few years of her life and her quality of life had deteriorated greatly in the last 3 years of life where she was mostly bedridden. I am very glad my partner sought help and now she is free from all signs of psychosis. She was healed through the herbal medicines from Dr Charanjit, I do not wish to go the same route and I manage to live a fairly active and healthy lifestyle.
    Here are her words "Finally, can you imagine what it would feel like to be NORMAL again, like I were before I was struck down by this horrible condition that you never asked for, and don’t deserve?" Sounds great doesn't it?
    You can contact him via email charantova@gmail.com He is well known for his groundbreaking treatments concerning the brain and mind issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease.  and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on  whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete